Why not try Crombies







We’re dedicated to providing our clients with an all-round package that will ensure their business is as successful as they want it to be. As well as the usual services you would expect from an accountancy firm, Crombies offer a little extra something...



Monday 2 April 2012

02/04/12- THE LIFE AND TIMES OF A BIKER AND A "BIKERETTE"

5th March 2012 : Iron Butt Talk – Meriden TOMCC


This was the last of my talks that I had been invited to give on lasts years Iron Butt Rally ride. 

With each and every talk, I’ve always been surprised at just how much interest there was and continues to be in my ride and again, there must have been some 50 or so people turn up to listen to me ramble on for a couple of hours about the rally.  I do find that as time passes though, I have become more aware of the achievement in finishing the event.  That is not meant to sound in any way egotistical, but like all things, sometimes when you are intimately involved in a project, you need the opportunity to step back and see it from another viewpoint.

Anyway, as always, everyone who was there seemed to enjoy the talk and there were plenty of questions for me after I’d finished speaking - so I can’t have bored them too much …. J

Something that arose from the talk was that a couple of days later I received a phone call from a rather well spoken gentleman, inviting me to be one of the “attractions” at an event put on by the “International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians”.  Given that I’ve never really considered myself to be that interesting a person, I naturally assumed that it was some sort of wind-up from one of my friends and having played along for a while, I was just about to hurl a stream of good natured abuse back down the phone line, when I thought I had just best check.  I busily tapped away at the computer in front of me whilst continuing the conversation as best I could.  It came as somewhat of a surprise to find that it was in fact a genuine call …..  I’m rather glad now that I did have the presence of mind to check J  Anyway, the upshot of it is that I’m a “special guest” at the IFMR Meriden Megaride on 10th June 2012.

However the “JY 2011 IBR Talk Tour” has now come to an end.

   
14th March 2012 : The Police, Speed Cameras and the 14 day rule (continued.)


My battle with Warwickshire Police continues.

My last letter merely provoked the issue of yet another Section 172 Notice – I am now amassing a rather splendid collection of these notices and all relating to this one offence JJ ….

It required a reply ……..


Copy of fifth letter sent to Warwickshire Police :


Dear Sir/Madam,


****/**/**** - Notice of Intended Prosecution


Thank you for your recent correspondence addressed to :

Carelogic Ltd, Carelogic Ltd
Pottal Pool House
Pottal Pool
Teddesley Hay
Penkridge
Staffs
ST19 5RR

That is not a grammatical error on my part.  That is actually how the document was addressed.

We assume that this is in response to our letter of 1st March (copy enclosed).  What you have forwarded to us is not what was requested.  Accordingly, we have returned your correspondence of 7th March 2012 unanswered as we do not feel that this is what we should be replying to

We look forward to your prompt response as we are anxious to correctly discharge our legal responsibilities under Sec 172 of the RTA 1988. 


The ball has most certainly been returned over the net …..


15th March 2012 : Staffordshire Triumph Open Evening


BS Bikes (now Staffordshire Triumph) are one of the last of the traditional “spit and sawdust” bike shops to hold the Triumph franchise.  However, with the ever increasing desire from all manufacturers for “brand awareness”, like so many other shops before them (and this isn’t just happening in the bike world) they have been forced into adopting the corporate image.  I’ve ranted on about this in the past specifically in connection with bikes as this new style of “bike shop” only really works with the “new style motorcyclist”.  As long as bikes are seen as a “cool” thing for the accountants, solicitors and bank managers to have in their garage, alongside the jet-ski and other fleetingly fashionable consumer products, then the coffee serving, sycophantic, car-dealership styled bike shops will flourish. However, if it becomes unfashionable to be a “biker”, then I just hope Triumph Motorcycles have done there market research well …..

Ok, having again put the soapbox away, back to the evening itself ….

Well I think it’s fair to say, Staffordshire Triumph “slightly” underestimated the amount of people that would turn up.  I was later told that 1500 came through the doors !!

Lord Digby Jones (chairman of Triumph) was there to formally open the dealership - not that you could see him through the crowds J



The Diamond Jubilee Bonneville – this one is destined for the Queen herself.  I wonder whether I’ll see her out and about on it next year…… JJ

There was free food and drink (non-alcoholic – although you could buy a specially brewed beer for the event) and we ended up staying until we were kicked out around 9.00pm.

The next time I’m back at Staffordshire Triumph will to be collect my new bike.  I’ll know then whether they’ve managed the transition to the new style of dealership, without losing the feel of a traditional bike shop.  I do hope so ….


17th March 2012 : The Garage becomes a conference centre for the day …. J


Since the new “garage” has been fully in use, we’ve had a couple of bike clubs along for meetings as well as a stream of friends popping in to see what everyone now refers to as the “museum”.

Well today, it became a conference centre when Rob Roalfe of the IBAUK held a seminar there for people wanting to learn about route planning for rallies.


18th March 2012 : The IBR Trident lives again JJJ


One benefit from Rob doing his talk was that I had to be around on the Saturday just in case anything was needed.  What this provided me with was the opportunity to work on the IBR Trident.  I’d already stripped the bike down some weeks previously and sent both the carburettors and the cylinder head away to be re-furbished.  Now that I had two complete days free, meant that I could work on it.

By late Sunday afternoon, it was all back together.

After three kicks the engine fired up for the first time since last July when it was still in the USA. 

I have to admit there was a lump in my throat and a slight tear in my eye when it fired.  I didn’t realise just how much I had become attached to that bike – some might say literally so, having sat on it for 18 hours a day for 11 days !! J

I immediately took it around the block for a quick spin - that actually turned into a 30 mile “bimble”.  It felt good to be back in that saddle ….


22nd  March 2012 : Wolverhampton Triumph – Explorer Launch


Tonight we went to the launch of the new 1200cc Triumph Explorer at Stratstones in Wolverhampton.  To be perfectly honest, given that I’d seen the bike already at shows and again last week at Staffordshire Triumphs launch night, it was the free food that was the main attraction !! J

Nights and events like this though always give you a reason for a ride out and a chance to meet up with mates.


24th March 2012 : I collect my new bike J


It was almost 18 months ago when I put down a deposit on my new bike.  At the time, I actually ordered the 800cc Tiger but after delaying the delivery date twice, the new 1200cc bike was then announced and so I just cancelled my original order altogether, transferring the deposit to the new machine.

Following on from my comments after the launch evening, I’m pleased to say that Staffordshire Triumph do appear to have handled the transition from a traditional dealer to a modern corporate dealership well, with the place still having the feel of a bike shop.

We arrived at the allotted time and with all of the paperwork signed, I was “taken” to my bike sitting under a dust cover.  It’s fair to say that I’d given the accessory catalogue a bit of a bashing.  Actually, what I’d said was something along the lines of “You know the accessories listed for this bike ? – I’ll have them…..”  JJ



Ready for the off

After a quick run through of the bikes controls, it was time to leave.  I’m not referring here to the throttle, brakes and clutch but to the trip computers (yes – computers not computer), the cruise control and, I kid you not, the heated seats.  I’m clearly getting soft in my old age.

This was the first time I’d ridden an Explorer and having shelled out the thick end of £13,000 for it, I was mightily relived that I liked it !  I have big plans for this bike over the next few years.



Back home and the 1200 Explorer meets the 1200 Trophy.  My Trophy is one of the first 200 bikes that the “new” Triumph built.  21 years and 543,000 (and a bit) bikes separate these two machines.

Once back home, Sonia got her bike gear on and we immediately set off for a decent run on the bike.

Five hours later and six hours after picking the bike up, we returned home with just under 350 miles on the clock.  This bike is going to be fun !! J


25th March 2012 : Winstanstow Classic Bike Show


The next day was the Winstanstow Classic Bike Show.  In past years this was always regarded as the season opener but as classic bikes have become more popular, other events have now slipped into the calendar before it.  Still, it’s always a nice ride there, the car park is always full of interesting bikes, they do a wonderful bacon butty and on top of all that, we have been experiencing the warmest March for many years.

Even though I had my nice new shiny Explorer in the garage, the Iron Butt Trident was always going to be the bike for todays ride out. 

The village of Winstanstow is only 50 miles from home, just the other side of Church Stretton and so even on a classic machine, it is barely an hours ride away.  Once I arrived, I parked the bike off and went off in search of the bacon butties – I know my priorities JJ

I was pleased that quite a few people knew about the IBR Triple and having had my butty and a walk around the rapidly filling bike park, I spent much of the remainder of my time there talking to folk about the bike.

A sobering exhibit there was from the “Safer Road Partnership” and was a bike that had been involved in a fatal accident.  It’s perhaps well that the message that bikes can be dangerous is pushed hard particularly at the beginning of most peoples riding season when they are still a little ring rusty.



A stark reminder that bikes can kill L  The rider of this bike died.

One of the nice things about Winstanstow is that being so close to home, you can have a full morning there and still not lose the afternoon and with so many jobs to do in the garage at the moment, I was more than grateful for this.

MOT time is approaching for several bikes, the Stafford Show is only just around the corner and the NVT charity rides are looming …… 

No comments:

Post a Comment